5.4.04

Return to the Fold

As I turned on NPR this morning, I caught the last 45 seconds of a piece on Kurt Cobain. As I have been pointing for some months, this year will be (now is) the 10-year anniversary of Kurt offing himself. The piece finished, and I thought - yeah, it really has been 10 years. It feels like 10 years.
I'm not going to get into any discussion about Kurt or heroin or rock'n'roll or any of that, just wanted to point it out, and maybe you might want to listen to Bleach or something today.

But what I REALLY want to talk about is the piece that directly followed the one on Kurt. Namely, an "Intersections" (what I guess is "Morning Edition"'s code word for "art we don't understand") piece on Mike Mignola, and Hellboy. It's a great piece, and has interviews not only with Mignola (and a cool clip from Blade), but also with Guillermo del Toro (who gets called "the Mexican horror auteur", which is a pretty cool nominative). Anyways, it manages to stuff a very unpretentious discussion of vampires and monsters into the normal NPR interview package, no tongue in any cheek, and that ain't nothing.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?